Your say matters, and many voices make a difference. This website is all about listening to and sharing the views of patients, their carers and families to improve Australian health care.
- Why have a say?
- How will my say make a difference?
- Ways to have a say
- What types of things can I write about when I ‘Have a say’?
Healthcare has to be about better health for people.
That’s why it’s essential that healthcare services are designed around the needs and experiences of patients. The best way to do this is to hear from patients, carers and their families about what works, and what doesn’t. And to hear how patients think things could be improved. Sometimes the simplest changes can make a big difference. So share your experience, your ideas and join a conversation with other consumers on how we can improve Australian health care. Have a say now.
The Consumers Health Forum of Australia moderates the ourhealth website and ‘tags’ the comments so that themes and issues can be identified. This helps us build a ‘consumer knowledge base’ of problems and gaps in healthcare, issues that need to be addressed, things that could be improved and ways that they could be improved.
We share this knowledge with our network of consumer organisations and consumer advocates who use it to inform their work. We also use it in our policy work and our advocacy to change things at the national level. We try to take the messages from consumers to the places where decisions are made. Your say can make a big difference – even the Prime Minister listens!
We also want to share ‘good news’ stories from one community to another. Perhaps you know of a health initiative that is working really well in your town – tell us about it. It might work well for another community. Your knowledge and your views can help improve things for others. Have a say now.
Having a say is easy. You can:
- Post an idea to our Ideas Wall.
- Leave a comment or start a conversation in our ‘Have a say’ forum.
- ‘Watch’ conversations that interest you, by clicking a button so that you receive email updates when more comments are added to that conversation.
- Tell us about the health topics you are interested in by completing your profile so that we can share information that may be of interest to you.
- You can share your ideas on how you think healthcare could be improved.
- You can have a say about about health services, funding, safety issues, medicines or health information.
- You can comment on an interesting article that raises some issues you would like others to know about and discuss.
- You can comment on the healthcare you currently receive, or talk about what is missing.
- And much, much more!